Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 83002089
Historic Name PAGE SODDY
Description of Significance THE PAGE SODDY, BUILT IN 1906, IS ONE OF THE LAST REMAINING "SODDIES" IN THE CHEROKEE OUTLET. THIS 16 FOOT BY 34 FOOT SODDY HAS 30 INCH THICK EARTHEN WALLS. THE ORIGINAL OWNER/BUILDER, MR. SHAW, COATED THE EXTERIOR WALLS WITH A CEMENT MIXTURE AND THE INTERIOR WALLS WERE PLASTERED. A WOOD SHINGLE ROOF, LATER UPDATED WITH ASPHALT SHINGLES, HELPED TO PRESERVE THE STRUCTURE. LISTED IN THE NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES, 3/24/1983.
Current Name SAME
Address 4 MILES EAST AND 4 MILES SOUTH OF BUFFALO
City BUFFALO VICINITY
County HARPER
Lot
Block
Current Section 35
Township 27N
Range 22W
Type BUILDING
Historic Function SINGLE DWELLING
Current Function VACANT / NOT IN USE
Area Signficance 1 ARCHITECTURE
Area Significance 2
Date Prepared 9/1982
Year Built 1902
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder SHAW, WILLIAM - BUILDER
Architectural Style OTHER (SOD HOUSE)
Roof Material ASPHALT
Wall Material EARTH
Window Material WOOD
Door Material WOOD
Decorative Details
Condition GOOD
Comments DOCUMENTATION SOURCES: (CONT) LYNNE L. PROUT, "BACKROADS AND BYWAYS: ONE OF A MILLION SODDIES THAT ONCE DOTTED AMERICAN PRAIRIE", THE LEADER-COURIER, 11/28/1975; SAGE AND SOD: HARPER COUNTY, OKLAHOMA, 1885 - 1974, 2 VOLS. HARPER COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY, 1974-1975; MABLE SCOTT, "WOUND UP LIKE A CLOCK", WOODWARD COUNTY JOURNAL, 12/1974, P.4.
Restricted N